[sane-devel] how to configure/scan with an Epson Xp-4100 printer/scanner

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 9 11:32:11 GMT 2020

Hi Marco,

Marco Fioretti writes:

> On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 20:40:22 PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>
>> If you don't need the network support and are fine with Tesseract for
>> OCR, imagescan is Free as in Freedom software.  IIRC, the README in
>> those packages actually makes a point of these extensions or plugins
>> being *optional* (at the possible expense of network support).
>
> I confirm this, the README is very clear on that. As for "needing
> network support"... I confess I don't know, can the list help me to
> figure it out?

Maybe ;-)

> I can attach that scanner either directly to a USB port of my desktop,
> or to an USB port of my modem. My question is, if I attach it via USB
> to the modem, would it still be reachable/usable from the rest of my
> home network, AND: would it be usable with scanimage and similar
> command line tools, as I do need to scan with them?

If you can get your modem to run saned, then yes and yes.  The imagescan
"package" includes a SANE backend.  It works with any SANE compliant
frontend including saned AFAIK.

If you run saned on your desktop or your modem, the rest of your home
network can access that in order to scan.  On your desktop (or modem)
you would only need support for the USB-based protocol.  This does not
require any of the non-free components "polluting" the imagescan
"package".

> yes, I could also set it up to use wifi, of course, but I would rather
> avoid it for several reasons, and in any case I could do it only if
> there is no need of Windows for that. Is this possible?

If you don't mind using the non-free network plugin for imagescan, there
is no need for Windows.  Using the SANE escl backend or sane-airscan
does not require any Windows either and should support access via a WiFi
connection AFAIK.

> Thanks again for all your support, and what you are helping me to learn

Hope this helps,