[sane-devel] Fwd: SANE project used for possible election fraud

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Wed Nov 18 11:30:27 GMT 2020

Hi Olaf,

On 11/18/20 2:19 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> As for me, I'd ignore this message.
>
> I thought about doing so but then realized that an attempt to educate
> might be a better approach, leaving out the poli-tricks and sticking to
> the facts.

Before responding, I've looked to the code under the question, and found
nothing suspicious there. Yes, I understand, that backdoor in the code
is simpler to hide that to find.

Another fact is that this code is about 2 years here, and only now it
became suspected for backdoors.

Third thing, even if election fraud did really happen and there were
Linux machines with SANE drivers on it, we know literally nothing about
frontend application that was used. The frontend application is a good
place to hide a fraudulent code to.

And last but not least, although we are obviously interested in keeping
insecure/suspicious code out of our code base, under no circumstances we
can be responsible for elections fraud, if it ever happened, as we
didn't organize that elections.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)