[sane-devel] libsane and my scanner in Ubuntu 20.10

Martin van Es mrvanes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 13:35:08 BST 2020

Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.10 and I can't use my scanner anymore.
My (Canon N670U) was (and is?) supported for a very long time, but now
scanimage -L doesn't return the scanner (and therefore xsane does not find
it):

$ scanimage -L

sane-find-scanner however, *does* find my scanner on the USB port:

$ sane-find-scanner

 # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
 # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
 # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

 # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
 # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x220d [CanoScan],
chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:001:013
 # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported
by

Sane versions in 20.10:
libsane: 0.31-2
xsane: 0.999-9

So, who's right and who's wrong? And more important: how can I fix it?

Martin
--
If 'but' was any useful, it would be a logic operator