[sane-devel] Sane API

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Oct 12 10:06:49 BST 2020

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Little writes:

> Hi,
> What is the status of the SANE API specification.

Latest "official" version is 1.06 at

  https://sane-project.gitlab.io/standard/1.06/

The master branch is a dozen or so commits ahead at

  https://sane-project.gitlab.io/standard/

but does not change the API in any way.  The changes are build tweaks,
spelling/grammar fixes, consistency fixes, etc.

> I know that there is another API version in the works but I do not know
> who, if anyone, is working on it.

No-one has been working on the content of the version 2 draft for well
over a decade, nearing two decades actually.  There have been a few
minor fixes but that's about it.  You can find it at

  https://sane-project.gitlab.io/standard/draft-2/

> I would be interested to participate.

You're welcome but I'm not sure how we want to go about things.  A lot
has changed since the bulk of that version 2 draft was written.  From
what I've seen of the changes (during the conversion from LaTeX to
Sphinx), they look sensible but I feel there is a lot more that ought
to be updated for the 2000-twenties.

Hope this helps,