[sane-devel] Sane API

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Mon Oct 12 10:16:44 BST 2020

Hi Ralph,

On 10/12/20 4:47 AM, Ralph Little wrote:
> What is the status of the SANE API specification.
> I know that there is another API version in the works but I do not know
> who, if anyone, is working on it.
> I would be interested to participate.
Me too.

And one of the most interesting questions, how the process of migration
to the new updated API could be organized.

Currently all drivers implement the whole SANE API. There are about one
hundred drivers, and I believe, at least half of them are unmaintained
(though I think, it's very optimistic estimation).

Either all changes in the API must be backward compatible, or some
translation layer is required (something, that implements SANE 2.0 on a
top of SANE 1.x). or somebody should update all existent drivers, which
is very unlikely to happen.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)