[sane-devel] Sane API

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Oct 13 12:26:29 BST 2020

Hello,

On 2020-10-13 11:02, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> Following semantic versioning, we are at liberty to (completely) break
> the API's backward compatibility although I realize that the draft has
> different ideas about that.  Seeing how many years have passed since it
> was drafted, I guess a more radical approach _might_ be in order.

I don't know any details here so I could totally misunderstand things
but "break ... backward compatibility" looks a bit scaring to me
so I like to ask if I understand things at least basically right:

Would it mean that existing frontends could no longer work
because of "broken backward compatibility"?

Could it mean that new frontends (for the new API) would
no longer work with old backends that implement the old API?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg - Germany