[sane-devel] Sane API

Jürgen Mellinger juergen.mellinger at t-online.de
Tue Oct 13 14:20:15 BST 2020

Hi Olaf,

sorry for not being clear about my suggestion. I am aware that various options exist for the user to select hardware gamma correction, and that software gamma correction is discouraged.

However, this is exactly the problem. Without software gamma correction, a frontend is unable to request a certain gamma correction, and cannot choose a gamma correction value suitable for the current operating system, and the current device, or user preferences transferred from a different device. So my suggestion would be to prescribe a software gamma correction option with the values 0 to 2.2, 0 standing for "off". Alternatively, a read-only option "HardwareGamma" could provide the frontend with enough information to implement software gamma correction by itself.

Regards,
Juergen