[sane-devel] Sane API

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Tue Oct 20 19:43:59 BST 2020

On 10/20/20 9:00 PM, Jürgen Mellinger wrote:
>> Basically, they all behave the same: allow to choose scanner from the list, allow to edit scan options, then press Scan button, which either starts scanner or opens an error message box.
>
> OK, that’s the bare minimum, but wouldn’t it be more elegant to give the user some feedback that the problem is solved, e.g. by auto-closing the error message box, or by changing the status line?

I don't think it's really needed. Installing paper into ADF is a
physical action. I don't think user needs a confirmation from computer
that paper was actually installed; user knows it by feeling from its
fingers.

BTW, some users missing push-mode scan, totally missed from SANE. But it
requires the whole image logistics to be rethought: user presses some
buttons at scanner, scanner connects the computer, some daemon accepts
this connection, then somehow GUI popup should occur with a question,
how to handle received image.

It doesn't fit well the UNIX multiuser model. At what desktop this popup
should be open? (unlike UNIX, on Windows current terminal session has a
very special role in respect to other system).

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)