[sane-devel] Unable to Build Sane Backends

Wes Rishel wrishel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 22:16:43 BST 2020

Thanks.

re: apt-get build-dep libsane

Ralph, I must be doing something wrong:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep libsane
Reading package lists... Done
E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
$

I have also tried libsane1. Reading various pages on the error message it
looks like apt-get is not finding a repository for libsane. Is that
correct? I see where I might uncomment an entry in /etc/apt/sources.list
but I'm unsure what entry to change. There is nothing specific to sane in
that file.

I'm still stuck on the ./autoconfigure loop and core dump that has had me
roadblocked.

Here's a wild thought/desperate measure thought. Would it work?

I have access to a  libsane-fujitsu.so.1.0.xx on an Ubuntu 14 machine that
includes the patch I need. I don't know what version of sane it is, but it
was probably compiled somewhere in the year 2016 or 2015.

If I just copy that .so file over to my Ubuntu 18.04 machine, os there a
snowball's chance in heck that it would run? I would have to make a trip to
get to that system so I'm not wanting to try it if the idea is just plain
stupid.

(what follows is a repeat of the problem that I'm having.

*autoreconf: Entering directory `.'autoreconf: running: autopoint
--forceCopying file po/Rules-quotautoreconf: running: aclocal --force
--warnings=all -I m4fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent
directories): .gitconfigure.ac:14 <http://configure.ac:14/>: error: AC_INIT
should be called with package and version
arguments/usr/share/aclocal-1.15/init.m4:29: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded
from...configure.ac:14 <http://configure.ac:14/>: the top levelautom4te:
/usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1aclocal: error: echo failed with exit
status: 1autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1patching file
./ltmain.shHunk #1 FAILED at 9708.Hunk #2 FAILED at 10166.2 out of 2 hunks
FAILED -- saving rejects to file ./ltmain.sh.rejpatch: **** Can't reopen
file ./ltmain.sh : No such file or directory*

*    (the above line repeated approximately 11,000 times)*

*patch: **** Can't create file ./ltmain.sh.orig./autogen.sh: line 6:  5152
Segmentation fault      (core dumped) patch "$srcdir/ltmain.sh"
"$srcdir/ltmain.sh.patch"patching file ./po/Rules-quotfatal: not a git