[sane-devel] Problem installing sane-backends

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Sep 3 11:45:26 BST 2020

Hi David, Ralph,

Ralph Little writes:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020, 09:26 David Niklas, <doark at mail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to install a version of sane-backends that supports my scanner,
>> which would be 1.0.28 or newer. I'm getting an error when trying to
>> run autogen.sh on any version of sane-backends (which is the first step
>> in the INSTALL doc).
>>
>> # ./autogen.sh
>> autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
>> autoreconf: running: autopoint --force
>> Copying file ABOUT-NLS
>> [...]
>> Copying file po/remove-potcdate.sin
>> autoreconf: running: aclocal --force --warnings=all -I m4
>> fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Oops!  Looks like you downloaded one of the GitLab provided tar archives
of some snapshot of the repository.  Those are pretty useless (see #248)
at the moment.

  https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues/248

You want to do one of:

 1. git clone https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends.git
 2. wget https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/uploads/8bf1cae2e1803aefab9e5331550e5d5d/sane-backends-1.0.31.tar.gz

If you use 1., you'll need to start from the ./autogen.sh step.  If you
use 2. you can start from the ./configure step.

>> [...]
>> I'm on Devuan (Debian) Linux.

Cool!  So am I.

>> If you have any ideas how to fix or work around this, please send them.

See above.

> It might be that you are missing the autoconf-archive package.
> Sometimes we see weird stuff like that in autoconf if that is missing.

Sorry but things went wrong before that part came into the picture.

Hope this helps,