[sane-devel] Unable to Build Sane Backends

Wes Rishel wrishel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 22:26:03 BST 2020

Olaf and everyone -- thanks for your help.

re: "*Our* source tarballs contain everything needed to build starting with

  ./configure"

I'm not sure if I understand where to find "our" tarballs. I haveused the
ones from gitlab shown in the image at [1]

In these archives, there is no command file named "configure" (as above)
but the README calls for starting with ./autogen.sh. When I do that the
process appears to be in an infinite loop terminated by a segmentation
fault. The complete output is at [2] below. I suspect that the significant
issue is highlighted in red below, but if so, I don;t know what I should do.

This is pretty much a stock Ubuntu 18.04 system.

[1]  selected tarballs

[image: image.png]

*[2] command output from ./autoconfigure*

autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: running: autopoint --force
Copying file po/Rules-quot
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force --warnings=all -I m4
fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
configure.ac:14: error: AC_INIT should be called with package and version
arguments
/usr/share/aclocal-1.15/init.m4:29: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
configure.ac:14: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1
patching file ./ltmain.sh
Hunk #1 FAILED at 9708.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 10166.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file ./ltmain.sh.rej
    (*** The above line repeated about 12000 times ***)
patch: **** Can't create file ./ltmain.sh.orig : Too many open files
patch: **** Can't create file ./ltmain.sh.orig./autogen.sh: line 6: 13306
Segmentation fault      (core dumped) patch "$srcdir/ltmain.sh"
"$srcdir/ltmain.sh.patch"
patching file ./po/Rules-quot