[sane-devel] Problem with new Canon iSensys MF746Cx

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Tue Sep 8 16:23:38 BST 2020

Hi Andrea,

On 9/8/20 5:19 PM, Andrea Croci wrote:
> thank you for your reply. That did work indeed: the scanner gets
> recognised as 'airscan:e0:Canon MF745C/746C'. However the list of
> options for that device is very short. For instance there is no
> "brightness", which would be very helpful when scanning a page printed
> on the backside too. That's what I always have to adjust with the Epson
> scanner in order not to see the back printing through.

You are the first one to ask :-)

Yes, sane-airscan doesn't currently support brightness/contrast
parameters. I plan to add this support in a future.

> In addition I just checked in my laptop, which has Ubuntu 20.04
> installed instead. That has recognised the scanner automatically with
> the "escl" backend. I don't see an "escl.conf" in my desktop with 18.04.
> Is this just a matter of sane-version?

Yes, never version of Ubuntu comes with the newer version of SANE, which
includes the sane-escl backend. Even more newer version of Ubuntu will
come with sane-airscan, but I don't know, will these two backends come
together, or sane-airscan will replace sane-escl.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)