[sane-devel] Net Client Not Contacting Server

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sun Sep 13 12:09:09 BST 2020

Hi,

C. Cook writes:

> Well, bugger. So much for my attempts to compile the backend lib.
>
> I'll just get an extra-long USB cable to connect it to an x86_64 virtual
> machine.
>
> The reason I bought this scanner is it is one of the very few with the
> hinge on the -long- side, not the -short- side. Why do almost all
> scanners require you to flop open a great long lid in order to change
> papers? Doesn't anyone have any sense?
>
> Well I'll just be happy that networking is working now. It's hopeless to
> ask for an arm64 driver from Epson.

You're probably right but perhaps if enough people knock on the door ...
The door seems to be here

  mailto : linux-printer @ epson.jp

# Don't hold your breath.  I'm still waiting to get my copyright claim
# reinstated in their copy of epkowa.desc :-/
# Perhaps I should ping them again, it's been five months now ...

I have seen armhf versions of their other Linux scanner "drivers" at

  http://support.epson.net/linux/en/imagescanv3.php
  http://support.epson.net/linux/en/epsonscan2.php

No, these don't support the V370 AFAICS but they do support the V39 which
I *believe* is similar.

> On 2020-09-12 19:58, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> C. Cook writes:
>>
>>> Ok questions:
>>>
>>> The Epson Perfection V370 apparently requires the iScan software which
>>> can be downloaded from Epson for Linux. But it's not available for
>>> arm64. I'd like my scan sever to be an Odroid N2+ which is arm64
>>> running Ubongo Mate.
>>>
>>> Now; I thought that all the other scanner backends required only the
>>> backend conf in /etc/sane.d, but I find that there seem to be libs for
>>> each scanner in /usr/lib64/libgphoto2/2.5.15/.
>>>
>>> On the Odroid running Ubongo I find these libs in
>>> /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libgphoto2/ and
>>> /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/sane/ .
>>>
>>> Well iScan comes only in x86_64 flavor, although they do post the source:
>>>
>>> - Are these libs necessary for the scanners to work?
>>>
>>> - How do the client apps know which lib to pull?
>>>
>>> - Do I need to compile epkowa.so for the Odroid to make the V370 work?
>>>
>>> - Is there anything else I need to do?
>> You need to get EPSON to provide arm64 binaries in order to get your
>> V370 to work.
>>
>> As you can see in the list at
>>
>>   http://sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-EPKOWA
>>
>> the V370 "requires DFSG non-free iscan-plugin-perfection-v370".  This
>> plugin is only made available as a binary.  No source is available.
>>
>> You can recompile the epkowa backend for arm64 all you want but that
>> will only make it work for those models that do not require one of those
>> non-free plugins that are needed by a select subset of devices supported
>> by that backend :-/
>>
>> Sorry this doesn't help,

Hope this does,