[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1250/Photo 64-bit

Charles Lindsey chl at clerew.man.ac.uk
Tue Sep 15 12:33:32 BST 2020

On 14/09/2020 15:29, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2020-09-14 6:49 a.m., Charles Lindsey wrote:
>>

>> I am using Ubuntu Bionic LTS, and Ubuntu says its version is
>> 0.999-5ubuntu2.
>> Ubuntu Focal LTS (which I believe uses 1.0.31) says its version is
>> 0.999-8ubuntu2, and that may be closer to what you are using. I could
>> easily download the source and compile either of those. Looking at the
>> output of "nm -nD `which xsane`", it would seem that it calls
>> sane_read (or maybe sane_start) to actually set a scan in progress.
>>

> Well we can establish what versions of the backends that xsane is using
> by looking at the diag output.
> xsane should be using exactly the same backends as scanimage.

I have cracked it; well, sort of.

Still using my old 0.999-5ubuntu2 version of xsane.
Clearly, the preview uses a low resolution scan. So I tried doing a full scan at
various resolutions.

50 dpi - banding seen
75 dpi - banding seen
100 dpi - banding seen
150 dpi - no banding

I an still planning to download and compile the newer 0.999-8ubuntu2 version of
xsane (but not today). In the meantime, I suggest you try the same experiment on
your Epson 1260.

Using Simple Scan, I got no banding at either 75 dpi or 150 dpi, so I still
think it is an xsane problem.

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At my New Home, still doing my own thing------
Tel: +44 161 488 1845                    Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl