[sane-devel] Sandboxing scanner applications

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 14:20:09 BST 2020

On 18/09/2020 11:10, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-09-18 at 00:20 +0200, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Bastien, so this is more your second approach of drivers being on the
>> host side, but we use IPP Scan as IPP is an established standard
>> protocol and it is used for both printing and scanning, so ideal for
>> multi-function devices. We get also interoperability between
>> different
>> operating systems, scanning from mobile devices, ....
>
> Where's the code for it?

Developemnt has started right now, so there is

This is the repository where the IPP Scan extension of sane-airscan will
go go:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/sane-airscan-ipp/

Alexander Pevzner is mentoring Rishabh Arya on this project.

Rishabh, do you have any code repository to which you are uploading your
current work?

Michael Sweet (author of CUPS and PAPPL) is mentoring Abhik Chakraborty
on Scanner Applications (IPP Scan as a server, sandboxable scanner drivers).
Michael, Abhik, do you already have some code on this project?

> How is this going to handle authorisations for scanning? (Authorisation
> is a big problem for apps that want to do more with printers than what
> the printer portal allows, and for which we need to punch a big CUPS-
> shaped hole in the sandbox)

IPP already has authentication methods which should not only work for
printing but also for scanning.

Michael, could you help Bastien here?

    Till