[sane-devel] Sandboxing scanner applications

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Sat Sep 19 22:28:55 BST 2020

On 9/19/20 5:39 PM, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I don't understand why you'd be telling me to write code to use saned
> in a way that it wasn't designed for and the net backend when earlier
> in the thread you told me that the SANE API didn't allow for ADF
> detection or PDF scanning. So which is it? ;)

I actually didn't tell you to use saned.

You probably have two possibilities now:
1) Reimplement sane-net/saned pair on a top of D-Bus transport
2) Define new scanning API on a top of D-Bus and implement it on a top
of SANE (because only SANE provides you a collection of drivers)

The difference between (1) and (2) is that in a case of (1) your D-Bus
requests will mimic SANE API, while in a case of (2) it will not be so.

Seems, printing portal API uses the second approach.

> You're the one that posited something completely wrong with regards to
> memory usage. I can just as well send image data along with the
> progress information so that we don't need to have a whole half-gig of
> data in flight at one point :)

Do you plan to implement data streaming protocol on a top of D-Bus
messaging?

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)