[sane-devel] sane 1.0.31 backend version not supported lineart. Why?...

Kelly Price strredwolf at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 16:59:29 BST 2020

I'm going to present a few sides here, mainly as a user, so here's a
long mail.  Also, I'm going to define a few terms.

* A "sketch" is just pencil on paper.  Greyscale, essentially.
(Colored pencils are a different matter)
* A "lineart" or "inked piece" is ink on paper, with the pencils
erased as much as possible.  Intended to be black & white.
* "Inking" just means applying ink to a sketch and removing the
pencils afterwards.
* "Flats" means lineart that's been colored, mainly using Gimp's flood
fill tool.
* "Shaded" means flats that had 3D-ish touches added to indicate
depth.  Some of this is "cell shaded" (cartoony) or "full shaded".

Before I got a Wacom Cintiq, I would ink my sketches that would be
then colored and shaded in Gimp.  This meant scanning the picture in
as lineart... and because of the type of paper (Canson "Sketch"), it
would scan in with a fair bit of noise to make the lineart scanned at
50% look a bit dirty -- I had to post-process it in Gimp.  Now,
afterwards, I'm scanning in color and inking them in Gimp.

That said, it's probably a good idea to have a layer where some basic
filters (threshold/B&W for lineart) can be applied before it's sent up
to the client.  This can probably provide some functionality to those
scanners that don't support in-hardware B&W scanning (and by
extension, greyscale).  I would make sure the ability to disable
filtering is provided, as some of us will want to control everything
in Gimp (et al).

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://redwolf.ws