[sane-devel] Brother MFC-J485DW "Scanadf -L and Scanadf -V output":

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 22:12:05 BST 2021

Hi,
What you could do in this case as an alternative, is just edit
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf and comment out the genesys backend as that is
where the issue seems to be coming from (if you do not have a genesys
device of course).
In that case, you need not use sane-git at all.

On 2021-04-08 2:00 p.m., Paul Graff wrote:

> Thank you for your response. Before I do install the sane-git ppa I
> would like to inform you that I do currently have the sane-release ppa
> installed. I have enclosed a screenshot of update manager displaying
> this information as well as the underlying packages from sane-release
> that are currently installed. -> Software Sources ->
> sane-project/sane-release -> open ->
> libsane1,libsane,libsane-common,sane-utils are all 'ticked'. I have
> verified they are installed .........
>
> 1. If I enable the sane-git ppa I could possibly have conflicts
> between it and sane-release ppa. I have experienced this before
> actually and received some great help with the issue.

Yes, definitely don't have both sane-releases and sane-ppa enabled at
the same time.

I would think you could probably enable sane-git and disable
sane-releases, update and upgrade and it should be fine.
If there are issues, then just remove all the SANE packages from
sane-releases and then reinstall them back again.

There is always risk in tracking sane-git as it is not guaranteed to be
stable.

> 2. Can I ask what the safest way to proceed by doing this would be?
> Possibly I can simply untick sane-project/sane-release in software
> sources and add the following through the terminal by following the
> steps below?:
>

>     Adding this PPA to your system
>
> You can update your system with unsupported packages from this
> untrusted PPA by adding *ppa:sane-project/sane-git* to your system's
> Software Sources. (Read about installing
> <https://launchpad.net/+help-soyuz/ppa-sources-list.html>)
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sane-project/sane-git
> sudo apt-get update
Yes, I would disable the sane-releases PPA in Software Sources, update
(which I think it will ask you to do anyway), then add the sane-git PPA,
update (again I think you get this for free), then upgrade and you
should get the new sane-git binaries.

But note the previous alternative suggestion if that would work for you.

Cheers,
Ralph