[sane-devel] How o make genesys backend make use of symlink via udev-rule?

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 15:43:27 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-08-04 1:44 p.m., Heinz Rohde via sane-devel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created a symlink via udev rule calles MyScanner and points to
> /dev/bus/001/002 (for example)
>
> I cannot get genesys to use this link, or in other words, scanimage -d
> /dev/MyScanner resukts in an error.

The argument to -d is not a device file in the Unix sense, it is a
backend-specific string. The format of that string is determined by the
backend itself and can vary widely.
This is because backends can provide services that are not from a local
device, such as the many devices that can be accessed through ethernet
or WiFi. Another example would be the test backend which is not
associated with any backend. For the test backend, the device would be
"test:0" or "test:1".

The common way to determine the device name is to run scanimage -L which
will probe for available devices and list them out.

Can you tell us which model of device you are trying to scan from?

Cheers,
Ralph