[sane-devel] Epson Perfection1640 and the epson2 backend: summary

Wolfram Sang wsa at kernel.org
Fri Dec 3 10:56:13 GMT 2021

Hi,

> 1) This started out with focus problems.
>    I appear to have confirmed that the 1640 accepts, but ignores, focus
>    commands, so the current version of the backend
>    (commit 3b47d1d26a73054b7138759fa7af57ed6c8e8e35 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
>    with dev->focusSupport = SANE_FALSE is correct.

Thanks for confirming!

> 2) The
>  --film-type Positive Film|Negative Film|Positive Slide|Negative Slide
>    includes the Slide options which I suspect are not available on
>    the 1640SU. They result in something like invalid parameter messages.

Confirmed. I can reproduce this with my 1640SU. I don't really know
where the "Slide" come from or what they actually do. I need to dig in
a little further. In about two weeks, I can also double check if a
12000XL does support the "Slide" options.

> 3) There is a failure to transfer larger scans: perhaps a counter
>    overflowing. So a significant bug.

I still need to reproduce this one. But I'd think this is easy to
reproduce.

> 4) Using xsane, and [cancel]ing during a scan fails. It is usually
>    necessary to restart the 1640. I have only mentioned this bug in
>    passing in previous messages.

I had this, too, on my 1640SU. I seem to recall that it worked fine on
the 12000XL. I'll cross-check this as well.

> I hope this is helpful in following the earlier messages, especially
> the first few when things were not so clear.

Thanks again for your investigations! Much appreciated!

Kind regards,

   Wolfram