[sane-devel] Interactive use of scanner buttons

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 16:08:23 GMT 2021

On Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 9:33 AM Paul Wolneykien <manowar at altlinux.org> wrote:

> В Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:02:43 -0500
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> пишет:
>
> > Many backends are single threaded currently, so this would be a pretty
> > invasive change.
>
>   But that's not a required change, isn't it? If a backend isn't ready
> for it, it just should not add SANE_CAP_DYNAMIC to the options.

That makes things hard for front-end developers, because of the variation
between backends. This will negate one of the strengths of sane (few
frontends supporting lots of backends).

I wonder if there is another approach here- middleware? Similar to how
backends are unaware that they are being used over the network with saned,
perhaps we could have a kind of intermediary poller, which ran on the
machine with the scanner? It could emit events, and not require all
backends which support buttons to be updated?

allan

--
"well, I stand up next to a mountain- and I chop it down with the edge of
my hand"