[sane-devel] genesys: how to add a new scanner?

Wolfram Sang wsa at kernel.org
Tue Dec 14 18:35:55 GMT 2021

Hi all,

(I guess this is mainly for Povilas, though)

I had short access to a Plustek OpticBook 4600 scanner which is
currently unsupported. 'sane-find-scanner' raises hopes that it might be
easy to add:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x07b3 [PLUSTEK INC], product=0x0c26 [USB2.0 SCANNER], chip=GL843) at libusb:001:004

However, when digging into the genesys driver, it became obvious that in
most cases just adding a USB ID is not enough. But how to continue from
here? Snooping USB traffic from the Windows driver is not a problem if
I'd know what to start looking for. Searching the bugreports in gitlab
tells me that some more people would benefit from such information.

So, is there some documentation somewhere which explains the rough steps
how to add a device to the genesys driver? Or is it possible to create
one? So, I may try again once I get access to the scanner next time.

Thanks and happy hacking,

   Wolfram