[sane-devel] saned/network scanner

Alexander Pevzner pzz at apevzner.com
Fri Jan 22 19:21:40 GMT 2021

On 1/22/21 9:38 PM, Thiago Milczarek SayĆ£o wrote:
> I've been getting lots of attention to make my scanner work, thanks!
>
> But one question remains: Is it possible to make saned list network
> scanners?

With existent saned - no. It requires some patching, though minimal.

saned obtains list of devices from the configured backends, using
sane_get_devices() call of each backend. The second parameter of this
call tells backend, should it return all devices, or only local devices.
saned hardcodes this parameter to SANE_TRUE. Network backends consider
their devices as non-local, and return empty list.

The simple trick could be to set this parameter to SANE_FALSE. However,
if sane-net backend is configured, it may discover itself, reexport
itself and so on - until saned crashed due to lack of memory. It needs
to be handled somehow.

The simplest possible approach is to add an option, that sets second
parameter of sane_get_devices() to SANE_FALSE, and document, that if
this option is set, sane-net backend must be disabled. More robust
approach would be to patch sane-net to ignore discovered addresses that
match local interfaces.

--

	Wishes, Alexander Pevzner (pzz at apevzner.com)