[sane-devel] newbie

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Mon Jan 25 17:10:32 GMT 2021

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:36 AM Andy Bennett <andyjpb at ashurst.eu.org>
wrote:

[...]

> I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 and I'm very please with it.
>
> However...

Cool.

> I can't speak to this issue particularly, but the iX500 has colour issues
> of its own.

[...]

That's a great example of real life hardware interaction.

> Also,
>
> The scanner is a duplex unit and therefore has a scanning head and a
> bright
> light on both sides of the page. This means that the exact colour
> reproduction varies greatly with the thickness of the paper.
>
> I have a stock set of colour curves that I use to correct things to how I
> like them.

Okay. Good to know.

[...]

When I first got the scanner I read this guide:
> http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repository/scanning.htm and learnt a lot.

I'll look into it.

[...]

> What you'll need to go alongside SANE will depend a lot on what you want
> use the scanner for.
> For example, documents might benefit from OCR (optical character
> recognition). Photos might benefit from a full Photoshop style package.
>

> Let us know some more of your requirements, such as use case, budget, etc,
> and I'll try to offer some more anecdotes (if I have any).

 I'm mostly interested in scanning photos, with a little bit of document
scanning. The price range that I'm looking at is somewhat fluid. I don't
purchase hardware very often, thus I don't feel too bad if I exceed
whatever budget I've made up.

Thanks again for sharing your scanning story with me.

Cheers,

-m