[sane-devel] Plustek SmartOffice PS286 Plus

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 15:47:52 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-07-03 8:48 a.m., Marc wrote:
> Hello, here are the information I have gathered on this model. I don't
> know if it can help getting it supported or not :

> <trying to find out which USB chip is used>
>     checking for LM983[1,2,3] ...
>     this is not a LM983x (bcdUSB = 0x200)
>     checking for GT-6801 ...
>     this is not a GT-6801 (bcdUSB = 0x200)
>     checking for GT-6816 ...
>     this is not a GT-6816 (bDeviceClass = 255, bInterfaceClass = 255)
>     checking for GLxxx ...
>     this is not a GL646 (bDeviceClass = 255, bInterfaceClass = 255)
> <This USB chip looks like a GL843 (result from sane-backends
> 1.0.31-debian)>
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x07b3 [Plustek INC], product=0x0c29 [ADF
> Scanner  ], chip=GL843) at libusb:002:002

This is not a currently supported model. However, it appears that the
scanner possibly contains a Genesys controller.
Povilas is our Genesys guru and if he has time he might be able to help
you out.
I know he has been quite busy though and there is a bit of a backlog of
Genesys work.

It might be possible to add the basic details of this scanner to the
Denesys backend to see if it works, but it will almost certainly not
unless we can determine that it is a rebadge of an existing supported
machine.
Genesys controllers require specific programming for the ancillary
hardware such as motors and sensors, and this is usually gleaned from
USB traces taken of communications with the official Windows driver.
Suffice to say, it is not straightforward. :(

Cheers,
Ralph