[sane-devel] Lexmark X215 backend (patch)

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Wed May 12 23:49:06 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-05-12 2:45 p.m., Andrzej Szombierski via sane-devel wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I got an old Lexmark X215 scanner/printer combo. The device is a
> rebranded Samsung and it didn't take much to convince the xerox_mfp
> backend to support it. I've made a preliminary patch (attached). I'm
> posting it in case anyone else is interested in getting this ancient
> device to work.
>
> In case anyone would think it's a good idea to merge this, below is a
> summary of the oddities of this device and my patch.
>
> 1. It seems quite confusing to me, but both the printer and the
> scanner utilize the same set of BULK usb endpoints, on a Printer class
> interface. So they are skipped by sanei_usb. And even if they weren't,
> the interface is usually claimed by usblp.
> 2. To reduce interference with usblp, I've decided to utilize it
> instead (or is there a better way?) So I've added a new transport
> xerox_mfp-usblp. Instead of using sanei_usb (and libusb underneath),
> data is sent directly to the usblp device. On startup, the usual paths
> are searched for usblp devices (with vid/pid filtering to filter out
> only the Lexmark). The code is unlikely to work under a non-Linux OS
> 3. The scanner doesn't support CMD_OBJECT_POSITION. The windows driver
> doesn't send this command. I've added code to skip this command if the
> device model matches "SAMSUNG/ORION" (yes, that's the model name sent
> by the firmware).
> 4. On inquiry, the scanner returns zero values for maximum window
> height (both AFP and manual values). I'm using the max_win_len value
> instead.
>
> Let me know if you have any comments.

Funnily enough, some time ago I was trying to get a Samsung SCX-4100
working on SANE, supposedly supported by the xerox_mfp backend when it
didn't advertise a USB scanner interface.
Didn't get any joy with that backend OR the original Windows' driver,
although printing worked fine on that and the Linux platform.
Was very weird. Had to give up on it eventually and I have to wonder if
the xerox_mfp backend had ever been actually tested on this machine.

Cheers,
Ralph