[sane-devel] CZUR type scanners with SANE?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Sep 1 17:14:41 BST 2021

середа, 1 вересня 2021 р. 19:00:34 EEST Graham Seaman написано:
> Thanks Kelly/Klaus
>
> The problem with big books is holding the pages flat while scanning,
> where the pages curve inward at the centre. Press down too hard and you
> break the spine, don't press down and the beginning/end of lines isn't
> captured. The Internet Archive has custom-built machines to help with
> this. I don't have the time/money to build/buy a solution like the
> Internet Archive one (you can find designs for them online easily enough
> - their solution is mainly a mechanical one).
>
> An alternative is these CZUR scanners which use lasers to grab an image
> from multiple angles - including the inner curve at the centre of the
> book - and software to remove the distorting effects of the curvature,
> without needing to force the book flat.  At least that's what their
> advertising says.
>
> Klaus Kämpf says the CZUR scanners show as webcams under Linux,
> unfortunately I guess that means I have to sort out the curvature
> correction stuff myself if I buy one. There isn't anyone working on
> Linux CZUR support on github I can see. I guess I'll carry on looking
> for an equivalent that the manufacturers do Linux support for, and if
> that fails buy a cheap Windows laptop.
>
> Graham

Hi,

You may find useful ScanTailor Advanced [1] for post-processing scanned images. This software can be used to fix the above-mentioned kind of image distortion.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri

[1] https://github.com/4lex4/scantailor-advanced