[sane-devel] HP Laserjet MFP M436dn and sane

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 15:30:56 BST 2021

Hi,

On 2021-09-02 3:48 a.m., Colin Brogan wrote:
> I have a print server running on a raspberry pi. I tried adding sane,
> but had trouble:
>
> I am using HPLIP v3.18.12 (a bit old, but I couldn't build from
> source, maybe because of the ARM on rpi? Had to use the apt package
> which comes with raspbian)
>
> I am running sane-backend 1.0.27 (also not newest. Newest apt package
> on Raspberry Pi OS)
>
> And the newest version of Raspberry Pi OS (2021-05-07)
>
> I know HPCUPS work, so HPLIP should be functioning.
>
> In /etc/sane.d, I created 2 files:
> hpaio.conf
> hpljm1005.conf
>
> In both those files, I put the following:
> # HP LaserJet MFP M436dn
> /dev/usb
> usb 0x03f0 0xaa2a
>
> The vendorId and deviceID I put here are exactly from my printer. I
> was hoping that I could force either of these two drivers to run on
> the printer. Below is the output of "sudo sane-find-scanner" for evidence:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [Hewlett-Packard], product=0xaa2a [HP
> LaserJet MFP M436]) at libusb:001:002
>

> Still, I get no scanners recognized from "sudo scanimage -L"

We recently had another user reporting a very similar problem:

https://gitlab.com/sane-project/frontends/-/issues/23

Same deal really. hpaio backend loaded OK according to the dll diag and
the model should be supported by the version loaded.
We couldn't really figure it out and I ended up redirecting them to
HPLIP's resource here:

https://launchpad.net/hplip

Cheers,
Ralph