[sane-devel] Release 1.0.33?

Povilas Kanapickas povilas at radix.lt
Thu Sep 2 16:20:40 BST 2021

On 8/27/21 8:59 PM, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 9:32 AM Povilas Kanapickas <povilas at radix.lt
> <mailto:povilas at radix.lt>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Ralph,
>
>     On 8/18/21 5:56 PM, Ralph Little wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > On 2021-08-18 3:25 a.m., Povilas Kanapickas wrote:
>     >...
>     > Since the majority of users get their releases from their distros, who
>     > for the most part seem pretty conservative about their SANE
>     releases, do
>     > you think we would get sufficient buy-in from distros for the release
>     > candidates to get much exposure?
>     > I can certainly cut an RC release on the sane-release PPA so that
>     people
>     > using that can get a taster.
>
>     A release candidate is easy to make. The primary reason for it is to
>     communicate that we think this release is good, so that more people have
>     reasons to report bugs. If there aren't bugs reported, then we wouldn't
>     get them if we had a feature freeze on the master branch.
>
> I don't have a problem with this approach and it is common enough elsewhere.
> My only concern was if anyone would actually check an RC release out.
> Do you know if there are any distros out there that would be on-the-ball
> enough to build an official rc package that users would use?

I think it depends on the distributions, some distributions live near
bleeding edge and would release a RC package to their testing release
channel.

I would be uncomfortable cutting a final release without testing the
waters with a RC first. Even if no one uses it we would at least have a
process of doing multiple releases on the release branch and if
significant issues are discovered afterward we can cut a x.y.1 release.

Cheers,
Povilas