[sane-devel] Agfa Snapscan 1212U, with SANE, on El Capitan

Niels Hutchison nielshutch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 20:39:36 BST 2021

Hello,
I have an Agfa Snapscan 1212U, with SANE and appropriate firmware
(Snapscan 1212U_2.bin) installed on an iMac9,1. But I can't get it to
work under El Capitan. The device shows up in a Terminal search
(sane-find-scanner), but there is no sign of life – no growls, no
flashing lights, no scanner found by Preview, Image Capture, etc.
Another partition on the same computer runs Snow Leopard (OS X
10.6.8); there, the scanner runs fine. It would be nice to have it
working on the El Capitan partition as well, to access an updated
version of Gimp, etc.
I would like any advice you may give. Below I list some of the
directions explored so far...

1. Tricks in Terminal. Unfortunately, I'm a dunce, limited to
copy-pasting strict instructions.
2. Downloading a piece of software. Some web sites suggest
"TwainBridge Maverick Fix".
https://janegil.net/2014/01/twain-scanners-in-os-x-maverick/
Others guess this patch won't work on El Capitan; it may even damage it.
3. Using another front end. (Is that the term?) XSane would have
seemed appropriate, but it is nowhere to be found now. Others appear
too complicated or costly - AirSane, VueScan, Morena 6 and so on.
Several possibilities found scouring the net include:
SaneScanner
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjbnye7uj6egxrx/SaneScanner.zip
WebSANE
https://sourceforge.net/projects/websane.berlios/
phpSANE
https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpsane/
QuiteInsane
https://sourceforge.net/projects/quiteinsane/
SwingSane
https://sourceforge.net/projects/swingsane/files/releases/0.2/macosx/
ObjectiveTwain
https://www.gnome.sk/ObjectiveTwain/ObjectiveTwain.html

Can anyone guide me through this confusion, or should I give up?
Thanks,
Niels