[sane-devel] usb [driverless] scanner A29JN by Salix Technology, ArcSoft MediaImpression software, iGadget branding.

Andrew Teal andrewteal48 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 21:15:12 BST 2021

Hello! I'm trying to finish a small project which I started on a
now-defunct XP PC using this very old scanner. Now it's become a bit of a
challenge in itself !
The MediaImpression software appears to run OK under Wine 5.0-3ubuntu1 on
Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (but strangely (?) wine will not run as root); There are
some messages when it starts, but none when I try to access the scanner
(except the gui's "scanner not connected").
Wine help is quite specific that scanners use TWAIN/SANE and so I've been
trying to get sane-find-scanner to work, but without success, even though
lsusb identifies the hardware.
All my other usb stuff works quite happily.

*sudo sane-find-scanner*
  # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have
setup
  # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.
*sudo lsusb*
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 115b:3100 Salix Technology Co., Ltd. USB Scanner.
---------------------------------------
I've read man sane-usb. Not sure about running *rmmod scanner* -- can
someone assure me I won't damage access to my main scanner (it's networked,
just to a router port)? Or advise how to swap from one to the other, and
back. I believe I mounted usbfs (how to check? [sudo] *mount -t usbfs*
returns nothing). Perhaps it doesn't mount if I don't *rmmod scanner* ?
------------------
Other stuff I've tried (and remembered!):
-----------------
run *chown* on /dev/bus/usb/001/004 (*sudo chown saned:scanner 004*) and
added myself to the scanner group; but *ls -l* now gives (and the +,
'alternative access', means what ? The result of my chown is hidden, or has
been ignored? ):
crw-rw-r--+ 1 root root 189, 3 Sep 15 16:48 004
-----------------
installed sane-airscan
-----------------
A spot of editing:
*sudo nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf*
to include a29jn, and created /etc/sane.d/a29jn.conf along the lines of
other files in that directory (what is the 0x prefix for?):
usb
usb 0x115b 0x3100
Sorry, this has turned into one of those long emails which I can't imagine
anyone reading, but hopefully someone more knowledgable than me will tell
me where I've gone wrong ...
A.