[sane-devel] Remove user authorization support from net backend / saned frontend?

Kelly Price strredwolf at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:04:19 BST 2022

I think there's two issues here:  The authentication and the
at-the-wire security.

The latter first, as I think it's more important.  If I set up a saned
server with scanner, load up a set of financial documents to scan,
walk away to my PC, and then trigger the scanning... can someone on
another computer, same network, sniff the traffic going by and get all
those documents?

If that connection to saned isn't encrypted over the network, then any
authentication is useless.  Once the connection is secure, we can
check credentials.

Now the first issue, and I'll pose a question:  How are we
communicating control over saned?  Is it a home-grown protocol, or is
it something over an HTTP analogue?   Having it match against a UNIX
user is an implementation issue, but then if some rogue actor has root
control over a server, it's game over no matter what.   Having folks
get asked for a username/password will prevent the curious.  The rogue
actor will heavily jam something home-grown and exploit any holes we
forgot about.

That said, if we need to replace the entire protocol, we should check
if any other protocol that we implement (like eSCL) is more secure.

--
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
http://redwolf.ws