[sane-devel] Remove user authorization support from net backend / saned frontend?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Apr 8 12:41:53 BST 2022

Hello,

On 2022-04-08 13:04, Kelly Price wrote (excerpts):
> If that connection to saned isn't encrypted over the network,
> then any authentication is useless

Why?
I described why even some weak authentication
could be useful in a trusted environment.

> if some rogue actor has root control over a server

Such a case does not need to be considered
for things inside a trusted environment.

> Having folks get asked for a username/password
> will prevent the curious.

Yes, that's the idea of it.
Prevent in particular accidental use.
Just like door plates at toilets.

If you like access for everyone
do not set up authentication.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg - Germany