[sane-devel] Scanner with IP on a different network

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 15:16:04 BST 2022

Hi,

On 2022-04-25 03:25, AG via sane-devel wrote:

> On 4/25/22 12:21, AG via sane-devel wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Which driver are you using?
>>> scanimage -L
>>>
>>> Thierry
>>
>> I apologize for my ignorance but I thought SANE /was/ the driver or
>> SANE used some system driver.
>> The scanner does work when connected to the same subnetwork as it is
>> detected correctly but it cannot be found when connected to a
>> different subnetwork.
>> If I ever installed a driver for the scanner I do not remember doing
>> so but I would have downloaded it from the official Canon web site.
>> I have searched the system hw using hardinfo and other commands like
>> lshw but cannot find any mention of a driver that I can identify as
>> relating to the scanner.
>> What can I do to find out?
>
> OK, just realized:
>
> scanimage -L
> device `pixma:MF210_d8492f583058' is a CANON Canon i-SENSYS MF210
> Series multi-function peripheral

You can put the IP address at the bottom of the file
/etc/sane.d/pixma.conf e.g.

mfnp://192.168.1.3

...substituting your device's IP address.

SANE is really a framework/API and a set of backend drivers for an array
of devices.
Thierry's question was because Canon devices use a number of different
protocols (and therefore backend/drivers) depending on their age.
In your case, it is using the pixma backend with the mfnp protocol.
Newer devices require the escl backend.

According to our supported scanners page here:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

... the pixma backend is used to support the MF210 for USB, Wifi and
wired Ethernet.

Cheers,
Ralph