[sane-devel] DCP-7030

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:48:44 GMT 2022

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 7:11 AM <valentio at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I own an old Brother DCP-7030 and would like to use it through SANE using
> open drivers (through an old MIPS router).
>
> Using https://github.com/tm4n/dcp7030 I could grab an image and am
> considering integrating it as a SANE backend.
>
> Is there interest in doing so ?
>
> By and large Brother have good Linux support for scanning on their MFPs so
there hasn't really that much interest in producing free drivers for their
machines. Having looked at the code though it seems to me that converting
that code to a SANE backend wouldn't require a ton of effort.

Much of the effort would be in filling in the boilerplate stuff required of
a SANE backend.
I also suspect that that code is incomplete and probably offers only the
functionality that the original author was interested in.
If you wanted to try it, you should be able to get help on this forum.

Mind you, I would look into the other suggestion of checking out Alexander
Pevsner's sane-airscan or the sane-escl backend that is now part of the the
SANE project.

Cheers,
Ralph