[sane-devel] sane-backend-1.0.32.86-911be for sol10u8 sparc

r. a. schmied uwppp at flash.net
Fri Jul 15 17:37:30 BST 2022

On 07/14/22 21:07, Ralph Little wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2022-07-14 13:26, r. a. schmied wrote:
>> saners
>>
>> os: solaris10 update 8 sparc (bigendian) on eol sb2k
>> scanner: usb canon lide 200 (ids as genesys:libusb:/dev/usb:4a9.1905/0)
>> gcc/g++: gcc (GCC) 4.9.0
>> sane-backend: genesys chip gl847
>>
>> while i did get valid build [no core dumps] the resulting
>> images are bad, will provide on request.
>>
>> i've tried the usual things:
>> forced calibration, manually generated gamma, specific
>> --contrast and --brightness without any real change in
>> resulting image(s).
>>
>> notes regarding 1.0.32.86 build:
>>
>> sanei_usb.c: seems lots of variables are typed for 64 bits,
>> but the old solaris legacy libusb is elftyped 32 so i had
>> to compile for 32bits.
>> -- might that be issue?
>>
>> genesys/genesys.h: loads and loads of messages:
>> warning: missing initializer for member 'SANE_...' objects
>> -- could very well be problem.
>>

>> NOTE: sane-backends-1.0.28 same os,scanner,compiler,etc
>> works 'fine' so long as i specify --contrast 20 and
>> --brightness 20 to avoid backside printing bleed-thru.
>>
>> anything i can do to help you help me, let me know either
>> direct email or via the mail-list.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> ras
>> ras at acm.org
>>

> Please open an issue here so that we can track progress and keep a
> record of the information that you have provided:
>
> https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/issues
>
> It would be cool if you could capture build output into a file and
> attach it to the bug that you create!
>
> Cheers,
> Ralph

aloha ralph and interested saners

gitlab will not allow me to even view the site -- it pops up
a message 'your browser is too old ...'

that is something i'm used to with this here prehistoric
system.  unfortunately i'm using the most recent (ancient)
firefox browser available, so gitlab and me are a no go.
i'm so glad the sane webmaster finally put tarballs of various
newer releases on the sane-project.org webpage -- thanks.

i can provide the build log if you want plus the very
few diffs i had to make to get 1.0.32 withe the sun libusb
legacy version to build.  just let me know where to send it.

details: i had -Wall on so lots of outputs -- complete log
of a distclean configure with compile of genesys sane-backend
is 700k and the config.log is nearly 625k.  i can compress
with most compressors if you request.  xz compresses tarball
with these two files to less than 50k.

diffs: 4 files mostly just conditional compilation directives
./testsuite/sanei/sanei_usb_test.c
./tools/sane-find-scanner.c
./sanei/sanei_usb.c
./sanei/sanei_scsi.c

NB: i've not changed any genesys source [yet] for 1.0.32, but
for 1.0.28 i only needed to correct variable types for a couple
of math library functions -- not used in new 1.0.32 genesys.

plus a post configure hack of ./include/sane/config.h
to correctly set HAVE_LIBUSB_LEGACY -- i've yet to
figure out what to change in configure.ac et-al to
do that automatically [at least for 1.0.32].

let me know if and how to proceed

thanks so much

ras