[sane-devel] Frontend migration to gtk3

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun May 1 22:40:20 BST 2022

Hi,

On 2022-05-01 11:13, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Why not migrate to GTK4 right away?
>
>    Till

I guess there are a number of reasons why I decided to go down that route:

1. At the time I started with the idea, GTK4 was very fresh.
2. xsane is the primary scanning application for wide range of systems.
I wasn't convinced that GTK4 was mature (or available) for all of them,
whereas GTK3 has been around for a long time.
3. Lack of time to look into yet another version of GTK given our scant
developer resources. The move to Cairo for drawing exclusively is the
biggest aspect which affects the Preview window principally. I think
most of the other items have already been largely taken care of.

I don't think that I planned the move to GTK3 as part of the next
release. Probably the one after.

Perhaps the only fairly major piece of functionality that I have
remaining for that release is the CEGL stuff for GIMP plugin support.
The others are bugs and build system updates.

Cheers,
Ralph