[sane-devel] How to Install and Customize SANE Ubuntu 18.04

Wes Rishel wrishel at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:42:46 BST 2022

Thanks, Ralph for "gentle-ing" me through this.

When I follow the instructions I get a fatal error in make. Can you
recommend what to do next? I'm stumped/

tevs at tevs-SEi:~/HETP/sane_install_220525a/backends-master$ make
echo UNKNOWN > .version-t && mv .version-t .version
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory
'/home/tevs/HETP/sane_install_220525a/backends-master'
Making all in include
make[2]: Entering directory
'/home/tevs/HETP/sane_install_220525a/backends-master/include'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/home/tevs/HETP/sane_install_220525a/backends-master/include'
Making all in lib

*[...a whole lot of stuff eleded here...]*

/bin/bash ../libtool --silent  --tag=CC   --mode=link gcc -Wall -Wextra
-pedantic -g -O2 -Wl,-z,defs -rpath '/usr/local/lib/sane' -version-number
UNKNOWN:: -module  -o libsane-abaton.la  libsane_abaton_la-abaton-s.lo
../lib/liblib.la  libabaton.la ../sanei/sanei_init_debug.lo
../sanei/sanei_constrain_value.lo ../sanei/sanei_config.lo
../sanei/sanei_config2.lo sane_strstatus.lo ../sanei/sanei_scsi.lo
../libtool: line 1152: UNKNOWN + : syntax error: operand expected (error
token is "+ ")
Makefile:4452: recipe for target 'libsane-abaton.la' failed
make[3]: *** [libsane-abaton.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
'/home/tevs/HETP/sane_install_220525a/backends-master/backend'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
'/home/tevs/HETP/sane_install_220525a/backends-master/backend'
Makefile:607: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/home/tevs/HETP/sane_install_220525a/backends-master'
make: *** [all] Error 2

-- Wes