[sane-devel] "Failed to fetch" Help

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 21:03:15 BST 2023

Hi,

On 2023-04-10 10:02, S. Parton via sane-devel wrote:
> Hello, and thank you for all your hard work.
>
> My name is Stephen. I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit Intel Core i5-3230M
> CPU @ 2.60GHz × 4.
> Yesterday, I purchased a Canon LiDE 220 because I read that sane was
> able to support it, but has not been able to work even in root.
>
> I found some information online, and first tried adding
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:roflbensch/sane-git
>
> but it could not recognize the command.
>
> I went to your site and found a new command to replace it:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sane-project/sane-git
>
> which seemed to work. But when I updated the system it gave 404 errors
> regarding the sane-project team and "failed to fetch" the packages.
>
> I'm at a loss as to where to even start thinking next, so any help
> would be much appreciated.
> Thank you!

Ubuntu 14.04 is not supported by Ubuntu's PPA facility and is well out
of support.
This is why you are getting the issues with downloading those packages.

Normally, ppa:sane-project/sane-git would be a decent place to get that
but we are unable to support that OS version.
Same goes for ppa:sane-project/sane-release.

Your best bet, if it is possible would be to upgrade your OS to
something a bit newer.
I think that the earliest Ubuntu that we still support through the PPA
is 18.04 Bionic, but that loses official support in June 2023 according
to this reference: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Cheers,
Ralph