[sane-devel] Ability to control scanner imaging head return speed?

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 17:58:04 GMT 2023

Hi,

On 2023-12-01 11:56, Joel Penner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering whether it's possible with SANE to control how quickly
> the scanner imaging head is returned to the starting position. Maybe
> it's a long shot as this is probably controlled through firmware, but
> just checking. Ideally I would like the ability to control the
> retraction speed of the Canon CanoScan 9000f or 8800f scanners or the
> Epson V550 scanner. I am trying to slow this down to make the scanner
> operation quieter.

I'm pretty sure that the Canons cannot be easily modified in this way,
at least I'm not aware of anything in the pixma protocols that allow the
return speed of the print head. The bjnp and mfnp protocols are pretty
high level and the smarts for controlling the scan head are in the
firmware of the device.

As for the V550, it *might* be possible. I don't know much about this
device nor its protocols.

TBH, to get direct control, you would need something with a more
hardware-oriented interface, perhaps a Genesys-based device where the
backend is manipulating the motor slope and speed tables. With one of
them you would have a chance.

Cheers,
Ralph