[sane-devel] Error codes returned by Fujitsu fi-5900c?

Wes Rishel wrishel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 18:56:58 GMT 2023

I have a program that uses SANE to run a Fujitsu fi-5900c scanner, but I
only have access to the scanner when I am doing production work. So I am
writing code on a system where the scanner is not available.

It would help to have a list of the return codes from scanimage while
working on a Fujitsu scanner. In particular, I would like to identify the
error codes returned for various errors where the operator might correct
them. Examples include stops due to double feeds, due to something stuck on
the page (like a sticky note), due to a failure to pass a single page
through the scanner, and so forth. I know that fujitsu.c somehow sets
different return codes for some of these situations but I haven't found the
list in sane-fujitsu(5) or sane-epjitsu(5).

I believe that a good enough list is the SANE_status enum for the general
SANE specification.

What I don't know is how to map the various values in the enum to the
return codes that scanimage uses on exit or whether there are specific
additional values for Fujitsu.

Can someone share the secret decoder ring ;-) or point me to a document or
source file that has this info?

Thanks in advance.

-- Wes