[sane-devel] How does Gamma correction work in Xsane

Bryan bryanlist at kolabnow.com
Sun Dec 17 06:36:09 GMT 2023

I have been studying the options in Xsane in preparation to begin scanning color reversal film. But I do not really understand what the Gamma correction option is doing.

For example, I have read some scanning guides (not specific to Xsane) that suggest "The ideal RGB tone curve can be produced by setting the scanner to a gamma of 2.8" or "For Gamma-Gradation, enter 2.20". But I am not sure how these instruction to set a gamma relate the the Xsane option for Gamma correction.

Is the Gamma correction an actual gamma setting? Or a multiplier of a gamma that is set or configured elsewhere? And how does this relate, if at all, to the gamma of the Working color space ICM profile that might be configured in the Color management setup?