[sane-devel] API documentation

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 21:06:21 GMT 2023

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 12:46 PM Steven Santos <steven at simplycircus.com>
wrote:

> Ralph is doing some amazing work documenting the Brother API.
>
> I think his idea of creating a library of API documentation is an
> excellent idea,  and I would like to offer help.
>
> Any developers who would like help documenting another scan API, I would
> be more than happy to work with you on this.

Oh my gosh, it's a big task!

For some context, the answer often heard is that you can look at the code.
Honestly, for the most part, that doesn't work for low-level code. If you
want a flavour of a protocol, you at least need some context and overview
and we don't even have that for most of the protocols that we support.
The question will come up though: where should we store such a library?
Should we include in backends/doc or create a new library repository? Since
some of the docs might end up being fairly large, I would suggest creating
a fresh repo.

Cheers,
Ralph