[sane-devel] What scanners are the developers using?

Billy Croan Billy at croan.org
Sat Mar 4 14:00:00 GMT 2023

I'm "going paperless" and I have been using an epson and hp multifunction
printer for their ADF, as well as an IRIScan for its ability to feed
receipt paper and flat objects straight through.  All of those devices have
drawbacks and are showing age.

I'm thinking of buying a Fujitsu SnapScan ix1600 to replace them all.  From
all accounts, that's one of if not the best out there.  But I looked up
support on http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane-fujitsu.5.html and it said
"Network interfaces are not supported on any scanner model."

That can't be right can it?  in 2023, the scanner model that I think most
folks agree is the best, isn't supported over the network?

Are the docs just outdated, or is that real?  I thought I'd ask before
spending $420 to find out, and maybe a dev would steer me towards other
hardware if IP connectivity is a priority.

priorities:
ADF 30 or more pages
simultaneous (single pass) duplex imaging
handles receipts
handles credit cards with bumps
handles cardboard/thicker/non-bending materials (I guess this isn't a deal
breaker)
8.5" wide with a little overscan
14" long, hopefully longer for occasional weird stuff
IP connectivity, happy with ethernet or wifi
never, ever misfeeds (hahaha just kidding)