[sane-devel] Canon MF746Cx not working under OpenSUSE

Andreas Croci andrea.croci at gmx.de
Mon May 13 23:19:58 BST 2024

Hello,

I have a multifunction Canon MF746Cx and several machines: one Ubuntu
22.04 and one OpenSUSE Leap 15.5 (the others don't matter really).

In Ubuntu, when I run "scanimage -L" I get

[00:06:02.547369] [bjnp] add_scanner: Scanner MF745C/746C is not
supported, model is unknown! Please report upstream
Created directory: /var/lib/snmp/cert_indexes
device `escl:http://192.168.200.103:80' is a Canon MF745C/746C
platen,adf scanner
device `airscan:e0:Canon MF745C/746C' is a eSCL Canon MF745C/746C
ip=192.168.200.103

so I am able to scan using the escl and airscan backends.

On OpenSUSE there are no such backends in /etc/sane.d/ and I didn't find
any option to install them (zypper doesn't find them in the default
repositories). Also there is no dll.d direcotry under /etc/sane.d/ in
OpenSUSE.

Another thing is that in OpenSUSE, other than in Ubuntu, all backends
are commented out in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf, so in order to try making it
work I uncommented "pixma" because I thought it would be the closest to
the right backend for my machine. I also tried adding in pixma.conf the
line "bjnp://address.to.scanner" and "mfnp://address.to.scanner" and now
"scanomage -L" gives me

[00:17:39.635393] [bjnp] add_scanner: Scanner MF745C/746C is not
supported, model is unknown! Please report upstream

"sane-find-scanner" doesn't find anything.

How can I get this scanner to work in OpenSUSE too? Is there a place
where I can download either "airscan" or "escl" for this OS?

Thank you,

Andreas