[sane-devel] ScanJet 4400c 1200 dpi IO error

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 13:52:20 BST 2024

Hi

On Sun, Sep 8, 2024, 02:29 Marco Moock <mm at dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> Am 07.09.2024 um 17:08:07 Uhr schrieb Ralph Little:
>
> > On 2024-09-06 04:12, Marco Moock wrote:

> > I have merged some changes that were submitted 4 years ago which
> > improves this backend considerably:
> > https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/-/merge_requests/853
> > The original MR languished in obscurity unfortunately. Apologies for
> > not getting on top of that.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > The images are better and 150dpi now works. The general colour
> > rendition still isn't great but the scans are consistent and fairly
> > crisp. Preview seems to work consistently and I have not seen the
> > crashing behaviour.
>
> The crash behavior for 1200 dpi or the behavior that the first and
> sometimes 2nd attempt to scan results in nothing and a hang of the
> scanning application?

Sorry I mean the carriage crash that necessitated the power off of the
machine.

> > 1200dpi gets further but still fails eventually. Looks like a
> > buffering issue, because some data is received.
> > You are using Debian, but if it helps, our nightly GIT PPA snapshot
> > should contain the changes tomorrow morning, assuming it doesn't fail
> > (again): https://launchpad.net/~sane-project/+archive/ubuntu/sane-git
>
> It failed.
> If that is fixed I will try the new version and report back.

Looks like it built ok. Yeah the 1200dpi scan gets further but still fails.
I did have a quick look and it is pulling quite a bit of data but something
happens halfway through that causes an error in the backend. I will
investigate it.

Cheers
Ralph