[sane-devel] sane-git launchpad repo libjpeg8 dependency

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 20:19:45 BST 2024

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 8, 2024 at 11:41 AM Marco Moock <mm at dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am currently trying the sane-git repo on Debian unstable which ships
> with libjpeg9 and doesn't ship libjpeg8 anymore, so the sane stuff
> can't be installed without creating a dependency hell.

I have tried to look into this issue online and it seems that the history
of competing libjpegs is quite fraught and contentious.
At the moment, I don't know the answer. In Debian unstable, it looks like
the chosen dependency is libjpeg62-turbo, possibly via libjpeg-dev.
It seems like a bit of a mess. If it builds, then I would say that it is
probably OK, certainly from your point of view.

If anyone has a more definitive answer, then I would be glad to hear it! :D

> Is it known to run with that version too or does this needs changes at
> sane itself?
>
> If so, I might modify the deb packages as a temporary solution.
>
> --
> kind regards
> Marco

Cheers,