[sane-devel] Looking to add support for Avision AV50F plus scanner

Ove Laurum laurum.tech at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 12:29:57 BST 2024

Thanks Allan,

That makes sense, I hooked up Wireshark and started comparing Windows and
Linux

Looking at Wireshark traces:
Successful Windows power on of Scanner yields hundreds of URB_CONTROL
in/out messages over the USB bus. During this communication the Red LED on
the scanner turns Green
On Linux Power On only yields 20 calls counting Request and Response as two
messages.
The Red LED on the scanner stays Red.
( I have not attached any traces as large emails with attachments seem to
get stuck in some filter until they are manually released, but can put them
using dropbox if it helps )

In order to be able to interpret the traces easier, It was suggested that
most Avision Scanners are SCSI over USB which is pretty standard, so I
tried to google a specification document, but could find nothing, anyone
know where to find such a specification?

If it adheres to a standard SCSI protocol, then perhaps compiling a backend
where I clone and modify the product number for any other Avision Sheet
Feed scanner and test using that may bring us closer.

the scanner is added to  /lib/udev/hwdb.d/20-sane.hwdb and VM rebooted
usb:v0638p2b6a*
 libsane_matched=yes

Are there any more configurations I can do to make the backend treat the
AV50F scanner the same as another Avision Sheet-feed Scanner which IS
supported? Or do I need to clone, modify and recompile the backend to do
that?

cheers, Ove.