[sane-devel] sane-git launchpad repo libjpeg8 dependency

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 06:50:30 BST 2024

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2024 at 10:23 PM Marco Moock <mm at dorfdsl.de> wrote:

> On 08.09.2024 12:19 Ralph Little wrote:
>
> > I have tried to look into this issue online and it seems that the
> > history of competing libjpegs is quite fraught and contentious.
> > At the moment, I don't know the answer. In Debian unstable, it looks
> > like the chosen dependency is libjpeg62-turbo, possibly via
> > libjpeg-dev. It seems like a bit of a mess. If it builds, then I
> > would say that it is probably OK, certainly from your point of view.
>
> If you want to create packages with libjpeg9 dependency, I volunteer to
> test them with my hardware.

If you are not able to build the backend binary yourself, then I could
generate one for you in a Debian VM.

Building the backend binary should be fairly straightforward if you install
the dependencies, including build-essential (for the compiler), git clone
the backends repo (from https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends.git), in a
terminal, change to the backends directory, enter:

 ./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix={a test directory such as $HOME/sane-install}
./make
./make install

Then:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/sane-install/lib/sane
scanimage etc.... to test.

Cheers,
Ralph