[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 4490 Photo

Ralph Little skelband at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:50:13 BST 2026


Hi,

On 2026-09-27 21:29, Krzysztof Hałasa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ralph Little <skelband at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> The 4490 is not currently supported by sane. I don't believe that the
>> epson2 backend would necessarily help here, despite what our website says.
>> I think that the intention was that it *could* be supported by the
>> epson2 backend but does not currently. It is a little confusing.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, we rely on a binary-only backend from Epson.
> Guess the protocol is much different than 3490/3590, despite the name
> suggesting a simple version update? 3490/3590 uses some sort of SCSI
> over USB and quite standard SCSI commands.

We have experience of devices that are from the same marketed family, 
and looking almost identical in styling but having completely different 
innards.
I don't really know what is in the 4490 but it certainly doesn't have to 
have any internals related to other devices in the same family.

We have even seen examples of two devices with the same marketing name 
but with completely different innards. It is not entirely obvious from 
appearance or model number which is which. 😮
Possibilities are that the 4490 could be something that the epson or 
epson2 backends could support, but it also could be a snapscan device. 
We would really have to see a USB capture sample.

Cheers,
Ralph



More information about the sane-devel mailing list